Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:36:38 -0800

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
  > > Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > > Appended is a patch to make it work with svn.  This patch is kind
of a
  > >   > > hack in that, if vc-status ever wants to support "non-terse" mode,
  > >   > > then the function will have to be rewritten (since "svn status" and
  > >   > > "svn status -v" have different formats).
  > >   >
  > >   > If we introduce a new non-dired thingy, I suggest we don't even try to
  > >   > provide a non-terse mode.  There are so many more important features
  > >   > add that we may as well decide from the get go that we'll never get to
  > >   > that one.
  > >
  > > 100% agreement.
  >
  > Seems reasonable to me as well, except -- do we really want to show all
  > uncontrolled files and have no option to suppress them?

IMO we should show them.
We might need to add a new back-end command to add the files to the
ignored list.

This is no different when using the VCS from the command line, as long
as you don't explicitly ignore unregistered files (and they are not
ignored by some default rule), they will should up in the output of many
commands.