Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:39:23 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > All right.  I'll need administrator permissions on our Savannah site.
> > Can you set those?
>
> If you mean Emacs project administrator privileges, then yes, I can,
> but I'll need Richard's approval for that.  If you mean Savannah
> administrator privileges, then I cannot do that; you will need to ask
> Richard to ask Savannah hackers to do it.
>
> Either way, it's probably a good idea to describe in some detail what
> you want to do there, for Richard to consider.

I'm not ready to recommend a DVCS yet.  That won't happen until my study
is finished.  If a repo conversion is required at that time, I'll take
responsibility for doing it.

First step: activate the default Savannah issue tracker for the project and
test it.  Might be that one is good enough; I'll need to check things like
whether reports can be gated to emacs-bugs, and how much work it takes
to be able to do transactions from within Emacs.

If it's not good enough, two alternatives to look at are tthe Debian tracker
and Bugs Everywhere. It is likely that I would need Savannah admin privs
to put those in.