Re: "CHANGED outside Customize" in frames customization group

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "CHANGED outside Customize" in frames customization group
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:54:13 -0500

    The problem is then that anyone who wants to know the current default
    settings can't tell them by just consulting `default-frame-alist' alone.
    Within Emacs currently just faces, fringe, cua-base, and erc do so, but
    there may exist packages beyond Emacs ...

That is a drawback, but not a disaster.  It's better than the current
situation.

If someone suggests a better alternative, we can use it.  Otherwise
let's use this one.

     >     I have to avoid an
     >
     >     "Attempt to autoload customize-set-variable while preparing to dump"
     >
     >     error here.
     >
     > Yes, but why would that error happen?

    It gets called by fringe.el.

Sorry, I do not understand what that would imply.
Can you give a complete explanation?

    I suppose because there's no `fringe-mode-explicit' like there's a
    `scroll-bar-mode-explicit'.  The attached patch (naively copied from
    scroll-bar) would handle this facet.

That looks good.