Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:06:39 -0500

>> vc-directory calls dired-internal-noselect which does the directory
>> listing (typically using `ls').

> Oh, so we can only get rid of that by no longer using dired at all.

Right.

> > That's a good idea in any case: speedbar shouldn't need to rely on VC
> > for that.
> But the alternative is for speedbar and all other modes that have to
> be VCS-aware to have their own separate lists of special
> version-control directories.

speedbar doesn't actually want a list of "admin dirs used by VCS".
Instead it wants a list of "directories not to show in speedbar",
e.g. "dirs used for things like meta-data".  VCS are probably the most
common users of meta-data directories, but not the only ones.
E.g. SML/NJ's "CM" subdirectories are others I've had to live with.

> This seems wrong to me, violating what database people call the SPOT
> (Single Point Of Truth) rule.

Just because it's not in VC doesn't mean it can't be put in a single
spot, right?  ;-)

        Stefan