Re: It's not yet time to anoint git, or anything else

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: It's not yet time to anoint git, or anything else
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:09:21 +0000

Hi, Eric!

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 08:24:58AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I'm glad there is active discussion of distributed VCSes happening
> on the list, as I strongly believe we should move to one in the
> near future.

Look forward to that!

> But I think it's worth noting that pretty much all the good things
> being said about git apply equally to other DVCSes such as Mercurial, bzr,
> monotone, darcs, and Codeville.  All of these have very similar basic
> models based on commit-before-merge and push/pull operations.

As an aside, have you any idea why has this happened?  Having several
products essentially the same can give a good choice, but having many of
them is a waste of effort, both for those writing them, those evaluating
them, and those who have to relearn when moving from one of them to
another.  It will also surely confuse people, and thus disincline
projects from moving from (previously ;-) good systems like CVS.

> I am working on an in-depth technical survey of this space.  You
> can pull it at from a Mercurial repo at <http://thyrsus.com/hg/uvc/>.

Any chance of putting a copy up as a straight file?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).