Re: VC-Dired now lists unregistered files, marked with "?"...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC-Dired now lists unregistered files, marked with "?"...
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 21:28:49 -0500

>> PCL-CVS has never offered such an option and nobody has ever asked
>> for it.  Just show those files and let the user place them in .fooignore
>> if they don't want to see them.
>>
>> That sounds rather inconvenient, I must say, if you often look at
>> new directories.

> I agree.  It's a non-solution.  Better to have three verbosity levels --
> terse, terse + unregistered, and everything.

PCL-CVS moved away from "levels" and I think it users found it to be
an improvement.  Basically, you just have the default (which is
equivalent to what you call "terse+unregistered") and then you have
commands to affect the current display to:

- place a given file in the .fooignore list (thus bringing you closer
  to just "terse" but this will also work for all other frontends
  rather than only VC and only in terse mode).
- expand a subdir to show all its files and their status
  (i.e. "everything" but with the advantage it can apply to a subdir
  rather than being an all-or-nothing choice (which quickly becomes
  a non-choice when your tree has thousands of files)).
- add a file (with its status) to the display (even if the file doesn't
  exist, so you can "cvs diff -rR1 -rR2 foo" even if "foo" was removed
  between version R2 and the working revision).

-- Stefan