Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:41:00 -0500

Tom Tromey <address@hidden>:
> This yielded (0 320 260248) with a warm cache -- so I think most of
> the time must be in Emacs processing, not in svn.  Even with a cold
> cache this number would be very bad.

Agreed.

> I think what I don't understand is why we run 'svn status -v'.  This
> will print information about every file.  But, why do we need
> information about every file?  Would it be possible to only deal with
> files that aren't "up-to-date", i.e., omit the '-v'?  This would seem
> to be much more efficient.

That will do only when (a) we're in terse mode, and (b) we don't want to
see unregistered files.  Otherwise we need -v.

Maybe dir-state should take a verbosity-level argument?  I'll look into this.

> That's just an idea though.  I also don't understand everything that
> is going on in the elp results, like where all those calls to
> vc-call-backend come from.

I'm pretty sure I know where those are.  I expect to remove the line
of code that's generating them soon.