Re: valid forms of face property: documentation bug, font-lock-{prepend,

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: valid forms of face property: documentation bug, font-lock-{prepend, append}-text-property bug
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:36:21 -0500

Your proposal seems pretty good to me.  I've written text to document
it; what do you think?  Meanwhile, I fixed the code in facemenu and startup
that generated other formats.

In the simplest case, the value is a face name.  It can also be a list;
then each element can be any of these possibilities;

@itemize @bullet
@item
A face name (a symbol or string).

@item
A property list of face attributes.  This has the
form (@var{keyword} @var{value} @dots{}), where each @var{keyword} is a
face attribute name and @var{value} is a meaningful value for that
attribute.  With this feature, you do not need to create a face each
time you want to specify a particular attribute for certain text.
@xref{Face Attributes}.

@item
A cons cell with the form @code{(foreground-color . @var{color-name})}
or @code{(background-color . @var{color-name})}.  These are older,
deprecated equivalents for @code{(:foreground @var{color-name})} and
@code{(:background @var{color-name})}.  Please convert code that uses
them.
@end itemize

It works to use the latter two forms directly as the value
of the @code{face} property.