Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:41:05 -0800

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

  > It gives me great pleasure to be able to announce that I have found,
  > and fixed, the bug that made C-x v d so godawful much slower than the
  > underlying commands.

Thank you so much for doing this!

There's still one source of inefficiency: files that are not vc-registered
at all. For example object files in a build tree.

Try this:

cd emacs/lisp/term   (because it is a small subdir)

for FF in `seq 1 1000`; do touch obj${FF}.o; done

(just create 1000 .o files)

emacs -q
M-x elp-instrument-package RET vc RET
C-x v d emacs/lisp/term RET
M-x elp-results RET

That will show  1000 calls to vc-bzr-registered, vc-git-registered,
vc-arch-registered, vc-svn-registered etc etc.

Another issue with vc-dired is that it does not show files that are not
registered and not ignored. So one cannot select the non-registered
files and register them in one shot...