Re: Uninformative comment in files.el

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Uninformative comment in files.el
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:17:23 +0100

> After reading that thread (which I neglected to do beforehand, sorry)

Not your fault.  The TODO item should have included a link to that
thread.

> I still think that revert-buffer should remove all overlays and the mark.

I think your patch is correct but am not sure about a number of related
issues.  For example, is auto-reverting affected by your change and how?
Is `remove-overlays' the right function to remove all overlays in a
buffer or should we provide a simpler function that doesn't check
overlay boundaries?  Is `overlay-recenter' needed in this context?
Shall we remove overlays stored in `permanent-local' variables?  Finally
we should look into the `kill-all-local-variables' issue raised by Kim.

> My reasoning is based on the way revert-buffer is implemented, which is
> to work for a simple default scenario, and to hand off any more complex
> reverting to other modes via `revert-buffer-function', which replaces
> revert-buffer's actions entirely if defined. For this reason, I don't
> see any one fix which would solve the problem for all modes.

In the particular case the problem was specific to a minor mode.  It
seems hardly feasible to make `revert-buffer-function' specific to minor
modes.