Re: Fixing numerous `message' bugs..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fixing numerous `message' bugs..
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 21:21:12 -0500

>> The problem is that all those bugs are here because the corresponding
>> authors just didn't think, so they are unlikely to use this new
>> arg either.

> Is there any way to improve byte-compile-format-warn in this regard?

Kind of, but it's not very satifactory.  In contrast, if we change
(message FOO) to behave like (if FOO (message "%s" FOO) (message nil)),
then naive coders will simply not bump into any surprise, even if they
don't look at byte-compiler warnings.  Also it will save people from
quoting the % char in those cases.
The only downside is the need to change existing code.

        Stefan