Re: Fixing numerous `message' bugs..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fixing numerous `message' bugs..
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:49:07 -0500

>> This will automatically fix all such code.  The only problem with it is
>> that there is

> .. (in principle)..

Not just in principle.  A quick "grep '(message.*%%' lisp/**/*.el" shows
a fair number.

>> code out there that calls message with a single arg and expects
>> `message' to dequote "%%" into "%".

> Indeed.   We should leave `message' itelf alone.

Actually, I'd prefer changing message, but I already suggested it and it
was rejected (maybe I even installed the change and then backed it out,
can't remember).
The problem I wanted to address with this change was not just to fix
existing code but to try and avoid such bugs in the future as well.

        Stefan