Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 02:59:33 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Sure, I can port the coding-system change over to the EMACS_22_BASE
>> branch
>
> But please, do not use utf-8 on the EMACS_22_BASE branch: it doesn't
> support several character sets that EMACS_22_BASE still uses.  (I
> don't know why you disregarded discussions of this for the changes on
> the trunk, but since the trunk will not be released before the unicode
> merge, maybe that's okay.)

I didn't disregard the discussions, I simply thought they expressed no
clear preference for another coding system over utf-8.  If there is a
better solution, we should use that, and I'd be happy to make the
change.

In the thread, you objected to utf-8 because Emacs-mule supports some
characters that utf-8 doesn't (I hadn't known that, but I'll take your
word for it).  However, Juanma pointed out that utf-8 was used for the
ido-history file, and that the reason this was okay was that the data
is just filenames (as with saveplace); he pointed to a thread on this.

In *that* thread, there was no clear conclusion, but the last mail I
see is from Kenichi Handa (whose judgement I usually trust!) saying, I
think, that utf-8 ought to be fine for filenames, including on the
EMACS_22_BASE branch.

It would be more helpful if, instead of saying what encoding *not* to
use, you (or someone) would say what encoding *to* use, and why :-).

Thanks,
-Karl