Re: invisible

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: invisible
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:10:21 +0100

> The point-adjustment already tries to move point to the non-sticky side
> of an invisible text so that text inserted is indeed visible.

When I do `facemenu-set-invisible' on a region, subsequently inserted
text is invisible.  I have hardly an opinion on that because I didn't
even know about this function before.  But I think inserted text should
go before the invisible text if `point' was at the beginning and after
invisible text if `point' was at the end of the region.

> The rear-nonsticky change proposed above will just make both ends
> non-sticky so the point-adjustment will not have a preference and will
> sometimes choose one sometimes the other.

I agree that would be bad.  Is that the way it behaves now when I set
the rear-nonsticky property?

> In general facemenu-set-invisible can't know whether the user will want
> to insert text "precisely at the beginning of the visible text" or
> "precisely at the end of the visible text".

In general you're right.  I was referring to the effect immediately
after executing that command.

> This said, I think you're right: the rear-nonsticky property would be
> beneficial for the case where the invisible text is shown as an
> ellipsis, in which case the user can indeed choose where she inserts
> the text.

That would be fine.