Re: invisible

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: invisible
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:59:41 +0100

> I cannot see a difference with forward-line.  I did this:
> 5. In buffer a with point at (point-max), repeatedly typing C-p goes
> like this, with `^' marking successive positions of the cursor:
> line1line2line3line4line5line6
> ^    ^         ^         ^
> line7
> ^
>
> 6. In buffer b with point at (point-max), repeatedly typing C-p goes
> like this:
> line1line2line3line4line5line6
> ^    ^   ^     ^    ^    ^
> line7
> ^
>
> 7. In both buffer a and buffer b with point at (point-max), repeatedly
> typing 'M-: (forward-line -1)' goes like in 6:
> line1line2line3line4line5line6
> ^    ^         ^         ^
> line7
> ^

I don't understand: You say it "goes like in 6" but according to your
"^" indicators you skip line5 and line3 in "7.".  Anyway, my Emacs has
for (forward-line -1) the behavior you sketched for cases 5 and 6: line
5 and line3 are skipped when the rear-nonsticky property is not set.

> The only difference I see is in buffer a when the cursor is at the end
> of line 7 (actually, anywhere but at the beginning), then typing C-p
> repeatedly does not skip any lines.  This is regardless of the setting
> of track-eol.

Please experiment with the attached text file.  You probably need a
visible line before and/or after the lines with the invisible endings.
And it's easier to move the cursor to the end of a line before moving.
line1
line2
line3
line4
line5
line6
line7

(progn
  (add-text-properties 12 13 '(invisible t))
  (add-text-properties 18 19 '(invisible t))
  (add-text-properties 24 25 '(invisible t))
  (add-text-properties 30 31 '(invisible t))
  (setq line-move-ignore-invisible nil))

(progn
  (add-text-properties 12 13 '(invisible t rear-nonsticky t))
  (add-text-properties 18 19 '(invisible t rear-nonsticky t))
  (add-text-properties 24 25 '(invisible t rear-nonsticky t))
  (add-text-properties 30 31 '(invisible t rear-nonsticky t))
  (setq line-move-ignore-invisible nil))