Re: Spreadsheet display mode

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Spreadsheet display mode
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:03:04 -0500

Hi Richard,

I wrote something called "cell-mode" that seems similar to what you
describe. It holds a grid of cells whose "labels" are
application-defined strings with text properties, and draws them to a
buffer. The display code can do several things:

  - Insert display-property "specified spaces" during rendering so
that all cells in a column
    are the same width---even when there are images and text in the label
  - optional vertical and/or horizontal "zebra stripes" (i.e. every
other column / row is tinted)
  - seamlessly tile various identically-sized rectangular images

I did have a version that supported embedding an interactive
spreadsheet UI into random buffers as a minor mode, using display
properties. You can't put point inside the text, but it can still
receive mouse clicks and keyboard events, so I could just draw a fake
cursor (with an overlay) and map keystrokes to commands that move the
fake cursor.  The illusion was pretty good.

Anyway, I'm trying to make it into a very general-purpose library that
could be used as a front-end for SES and all the other "display stuff
in a table interactively" modes (dired, buffer list, etc)

Here are some screenshots:

an old demo with some interactive objects:
http://dto.freeshell.org/images/cell-mode.png

a recent shot of a rudimentary XPM pixel art drawing program:
http://dto.freeshell.org/images/pixel-preview.png

an example of embedding cell-mode in a buffer:
http://dto.freeshell.org/images/EcaSpace-alpha.png

image tiling stuff:
http://dto.freeshell.org/images/RogueLike-11.png
http://dto.freeshell.org/images/RogueLike-12.png

larger images:
http://dto.freeshell.org/images/cell-mode-2.png

I've been looking for an excuse to work on cell-mode again. It does
need some fixes (especially to make it work well on ttys) but if
anyone is interested i will clean it up and post it to
gnu.emacs.sources.