Re: sh-script beg-end of function

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: sh-script beg-end of function
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:52:07 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 21. November 2007 13:05 schrieb Richard Stallman:
> This is a good change to make.
> Would others please check the code and send Andreas suggestions?
>
> To use this code, we'd need legal papers of some kind.
> Would you like to sign a copyright assignment?
> (A disclaimer would suffice instead, for this change.)

Below the code with the disclaimer and some docstrings
inserted.

Please send the papers you want me to sign, so I may
reflect it at least for later occasions. Adress is
known by FSF.

Andreas Röhler

;;; sh-beg-end.el --- Establish something useful for
;;; beginning- and end-of-defun in shell-script-mode

;; Copyright (C) 2007 by Andreas Röhler
;; <address@hidden>

;; This file is free software; you can redistribute it
;; and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General
;; Public License as published by the Free Software
;; Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
;; any later version.

;; This file is distributed in the hope that it will be
;; useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the
;; implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
;; PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public
;; License for more details.

;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General
;; Public License along with GNU Emacs; see the file
;; COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
;; Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
;; Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

;;; Commentary: Jump to the beginning or end of a
;;; top-level-form in sh-mode - "Shell-script"-mode

;;; Code:

(require 'newcomment)

(defcustom sh-beginning-of-function-regexp "^[A-Za-z_][A-Za-z_0-9]*"
  "Regexp to identify the beginning of a top-level-form in
shell-script-mode."
  :type 'regexp
  :group 'sh-script)

(defun sh-beginning-of-function ()
  "Re-search-backward sh-beginning-of-function-regexp nil t 1"
  (interactive)
  (re-search-backward sh-beginning-of-function-regexp nil t 1))

(defcustom beginning-of-defun-function 'sh-beginning-of-function
 "'sh-beginning-of-function"
 :type 'symbol
 :group 'sh-script)

(defun sh-end-of-function (&optional arg)
  "Move forward to end of a function or command in sh-script.
With numeric argument, do it that many times."
  (interactive "p")
  (or arg (setq arg 1))
  (forward-line 1)
  ;; between functions, skip next beginning
  (when (eq 0 (car (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) (point))))
    (setq arg (1+ arg)))
  (let ((erf
         (re-search-forward sh-beginning-of-function-regexp nil t arg)))
    (goto-char (match-beginning 0))
    (unless erf
      ;; already last top level form
      (goto-char (point-max)))
    (skip-chars-backward " \t\r\n\f"))
  ;; skip comments
  (while
      (progn
        (comment-normalize-vars) (comment-beginning))
    (forward-line -1)
    (end-of-line)
    (skip-chars-backward " \t\r\n\f")))

(defcustom end-of-defun-function 'sh-end-of-function
 "Establish useful behavior for `end-of-defun' in `shell-script-mode'."
 :type 'symbol
 :group 'sh-script)

(defun sh-set-beginning-of-function ()
  "'sh-beginning-of-function"
  (interactive)
 (setq beginning-of-defun-function 'sh-beginning-of-function))

(defun sh-set-end-of-function ()
  "'sh-end-of-function"
  (interactive)
  (setq end-of-defun-function 'sh-end-of-function))

(add-hook 'sh-mode-hook 'sh-set-beginning-of-function)
(add-hook 'sh-mode-hook 'sh-set-end-of-function)

(provide 'sh-beg-end)

;;; sh-beg-end.el ends here