Re: byte compiling defcustom

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: byte compiling defcustom
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:48:43 -0800

  > Here's one defcustom with a nontrivial default value form.
  >
  >     (defcustom custom-raised-buttons (not (equal
(face-valid-attribute-values :box)
  >                                              '(("unspecified" .
unspecified))))

Good example, it addresses the points I was trying to make:

1. Is there any value in this being a defcustom? IMO, absolutely not. Do
users really care that much about the default raised buttons to change
them to use the much uglier brackets? Very doubtful.

2. Doing (get 'custom-raised-buttons 'standard-value) will indeed show
bytecodes in this case. But the default value:
(not (equal (face-valid-attribute-values :box)
   '(("unspecified" . unspecified))))
is not much readable either if you don't know elisp and know some
details about faces, in which case you can just do C-h v
custom-raised-buttons RET and follow the link in the Help buffer to look
at the source code.