Re: Substitute ? in dired without surrounding whitespace

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Substitute ? in dired without surrounding whitespace
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:46:48 -0500

    Yes, this works.  But this command line is to complicated and
    inconvenient to edit for users.  And I'm not sure is it sufficiently
    portable to different systems.

Editing it by hand is not all that inconvenient, and that's a side
issue anyway.  It ought to work on all systems except Windows, since
they all have sh, and this probably won't work on Windows anyway.

    where "%s" is intended to be replaced by the file name in the programs
    that read mailcap entries.

    So perhaps we could change Dired to accept this format and to replace %s
    (regardless of surrounding whitespace) with the file name.

That would create additional quoting difficulties.
I don't want to do it.

I do not want to make this feature yet more complicated
just to simplify a few default commands.