Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:52:30 +0200

> Yes.  Now I understand why the colors and the mouse pointer jumps.
> Because if M-<arrow> does not move a border because it jumped to the
> opposite border, then you have to make it clear to the user, who might
> have thought M-<arrow> will immediately move the border instead.

The current window is highlighted by the special face of the mode-line,
so there is no need in additional highlighting.  However, there is no
special indication of the current window border in Emacs, but I think
mouse movements is not an adequate replacement for the missing window
border highlighting.  Instead of inventing special indications for the
selected window border, it would be better to use one set of keys
(e.g. arrows) to resize the right/bottom window border, and another set of
keys (e.g. M-arrows or S-arrows) to resize the opposite left/top window
border (while using M-arrows or S-arrows to switch windows).

This will help avoiding unnatural indications in winsize.el, and will be
better than using an inconvenient key scheme in window-resize.el where
the same set of arrows (either arrows or M-arrows) is used for resizing
opposite borders.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/