Re: [Unicode-2] `read' always returns multibyte symbol

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: [Unicode-2] `read' always returns multibyte symbol
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:20:02 +0900

> BTW, I found another problem with Emacs 21 (Gnus still supports
> Emacs 21, IIUC).  So, I'll go on looking into it further.

I realized a network process that is created by
`open-network-stream' in Emacs 21 breaks encoded non-ASCII group
names if the process buffer is in the multibyte mode even if the
process coding system is binary.  It behaves as if
`toggle-enable-multibyte-characters' modifies binary data when
turning on the multibyteness of a buffer.  So, I made changes in
nntp.el in the Gnus trunk so that it makes a process buffer
unibyte.  I also modified the nntp functions that copy data from
a unibyte buffer to a multibyte buffer.

Regards,