Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:46:27 +0200

> Lennart Borgman has been working on a similar package, now called
> winsize.el, which is implemented using the ordinary command reader
> with a special keymap.  That's the basic difference between these two
> packages.

Lennart's version has one drawback: it includes too much unnecessary
and distracting features like excessive coloring and mouse pointer jumping.

I don't care who will implement the final version that goes to Emacs
but I think we should have a simple package that just does its primary
job without all the bells and whistles.

> If it is now clear that using the ordinary command reader is the best
> approach, we may as well go with winsize.el.

Neither allows using keys normally bound to window manipulation commands
(`other-window', `split-window', `windmove-...') in window-resizing mode.
I think it would be preferable to make it a global mode (with an
indication string in the mode-line) and redefining a few keybindings for
doing its job.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/