Re: mark-word

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: mark-word
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:02:49 +0900

David Kastrup writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

 > > I think it would be a good idea to have a `mark-entire-word'
 > > command and bind it to M-@, especially since C-@ doesn't mark a
 > > character.  Ditto `mark-entire-sexp' and address@hidden
 >
 > Since "mark whole ..." for both directions is useful for more than
 > words, I think it would be more useful to have a prefix for that.

But we already have a plethora of ways to accomplish this in 2 or 3
keystrokes.  Andreas's point is to get this (very natural) behavior by
default with address@hidden  And as you noticed, C-u M-@ already has semantics
("mark the rest of this word and the three following").

Keep it simple, and backward compatible.  It only costs one element in
the objarray, and an xref to `mark-entire-word' in the documentation
of `mark-word'.  There's really not a lot of future developer cost due
to extra complexity here, since nobody except UI programmers should be
using these commands in programs.