Re: Gnus v5.13 unplugged mode not really 'unplugged'

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Gnus v5.13 unplugged mode not really 'unplugged'
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 03:09:58 +0200

On 2007-11-06 18:28, Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> wrote:
> After the latest update of my Emacs build with a CVS checkout
> from -D '2007-11-06 12:32:16', Gnus seems to have a buglet in
> the way it handles unplugged mode.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
>   * Start gnus in unplugged mode
>
>   * Type `J j' to briefly enter plugged mode
>
>   * Type `M-x gnus-agent-batch' to send/fetch posts
>
>   * Type `J j' to enter unplugged mode again
>
> At this point typing `g' in the *Group* buffer shouldn't contact
> remote servers, but in my case it does!

One thing which I noticed is that the first time I enter a group,
the {nntp:news.sunsite.dk} server 'loses' its (agent) description
in the server buffer.

The first time I fire up Gnus in 'unplugged' mode, right after
Emacs has started, by typing `M-x gnus-unplugged', the server
buffer shows:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.sunsite.dk} (offline) (agent)

When I leave the server buffer with `q', enter any nntp group,
leave the group with `q', and re-enter the server buffer with
`^', the server buffer shows:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.sunsite.dk} (offline)

After this point, entering *any* group attempts to re-open the
connection to the {nntp:news.sunsite.dk} server, even though the
mode-line shows that Gnus is (Server Unplugged).