Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 02:55:39 -0500

    > All else being equal, I'd rather avoid adding another level of function
    > calling.  It increases the total complexity, and I don't see any benefit.
    > What is the benefit here?

    Even though read-passwd is not perfectly secure, it is far better than
    password caching in elisp.  If read-passwd does password caching by
    itself and the docstring says so, thoughtless programmers will tend to
    use that feature in every case.  That will cause spreading insecure
    code.

I do not understand the argument you are making.  I was talking about
two alternatives for writing the Lisp code: one function and two
functions.  I don't know how to relate what you said to that choice.