Re: New Emacs facilities from Gnus

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: New Emacs facilities from Gnus
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:45:06 +0100

On Tue, Nov 06 2007, CHENG Gao wrote:

> How about the following files:

This thread was about new files from No Gnus.  The files from your
list have already been included in several years ago.  Maybe they have
already been discussed.  Did you check the list archives
(emacs-devel)?

> binhex.el,

to lisp/mail?

> dig.el, dns.el, sha1.el, uudecode.el,

maybe to lisp/net?

> m4.el,

I can't find any file m4.el.

> utf7.el,

See the recent thread in emacs-devel:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/82303>

> yenc.el

Only useful for news, not for mail, AFAIK.

> And there are tls.el and starttls.el. tls.el is already in Emacs. I
> wonder why starttls.el exists along with tls.el. Why not merge them?

I'd guess that `tls.el' is much more general than `starttls.el'.  The
latter is for IMAP, POP, etc.  But Daiki Ueno or Simon surely can
explain better.  `starttls.el' could be move to the mail directory.

;;; tls.el --- TLS/SSL support via wrapper around GnuTLS
;; This package implements a simple wrapper around "gnutls-cli" to
;; make Emacs support TLS/SSL.

;;; starttls.el --- STARTTLS functions
;; This module defines some utility functions for STARTTLS profiles.
;; [RFC 2595] "Using TLS with IMAP, POP3 and ACAP"
;;      by Chris Newman <address@hidden> (1999/06)
;; This file now contains a combination of the two previous
;; implementations both called "starttls.el".  The first one is Daiki
;; Ueno's starttls.el which uses his own "starttls" command line tool,
;; and the second one is Simon Josefsson's starttls.el which uses
;; "gnutls-cli" from GNUTLS.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,