Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 21:16:00 -0500

    > In most cases you can determine this by looking at the overlay's
    > properties and seeing where the string appears.  That will work except
    > when the overlay has two properties that contain strings that are eq.

    This would be a real pain.  What if the string being displayed is a
    display property on the before-string?

The experiments don't need to handle such complex cases
in order to serve their purpose: to figure out the right
criteria for which overlays' properties should influence
which overlays' strings.

Once we are confident of the right criteria, we could
implement them cleanly and reliably and efficiently.