Re: isearch for doc-view.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch for doc-view.el
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 02:44:54 +0200

> But even if we'd get that working no real isearch feeling comes up due
> to the missing match highlighting.  Currently I display all lines
> containing a match in a tooltip and each C-s or C-r jumps directly to
> the next/previous page with a match.  With isearch we could only display
> the current match.  So we had to decide if another C-s jumps to the next
> page with a match (thus only the first match in a page will be displayed
> in a tooltip) or to the next match, which would do nothing visible
> (except the tooltip) if the next match is on the same page.

That's what I meant when I suggested using a different search UI.  It is
confusing to provide isearch keys with nothing more common with isearch.

If highlighting of the matches on the rendered images is impossible,
what do you think about the following approach: display the plain text
of the current page below its rendered image (just where you currently
display the page information like "Page 1 of 1"), and let isearch to
operate on this text with all its standard features: highlighting of
all matches, etc.

Isearch on the plain text will provide enough cues to visually locate
the place of the found string on the rendered image.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/