RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 23:37:20 -0800

> > We could give it a try and see what users think of it.
>
> Here is another try.
>
> It uses the arrow keys to push borders and -/+ for raw
> shrinking/enlarging.  I've also added other keys like
> `s' to store a window configuration and '_' to call
> it back.  See the docstring for details.
>
> Feedback welcome.

I like it, in general.

Some quick minor feedback:

* Use `case' (compile-time require cl) to simplify code.
* Why is WCF an arg? (You immediately set it.)
* Bind `echo-keystrokes' to 0.
* Let `0' delete the selected window.
* Not sure `1' is a good idea (especially if no undo).
* Maybe `r' instead of `_'?
* When window reaches a minimum, trying to reduce it
  more either moves it instead or deletes it instead.
  Maybe do something different (e.g. nothing?).
* +/- is only for vertical resizing. Why not horizontal
  also? Maybe let arrows do this also, with another key
  toggling the mode (move border vs increase/decrease
  size).
* Maybe let Shift always navigate - up/down/left/right,
  and use something else (`+' and `-'?) to
  increment/decrement ARG.
* Maybe negate (toggle sign of) ARG with a keystroke
  (e.g. `~'), instead of holding Meta down. (Modal.)
* And maybe let C-N (N an integer) set ARG absolutely?
* Maybe let mouse-1 select a window also.
* Maybe use mouse wheel also (if direction is known)?
* The prompt doesn't express much of what is possible.
  In particular, if `one-window-p', the prompt makes
  no sense (but `2' and `3' still make sense).
* Let `?' provide more help.
* Give confirmation message when save & restore.
  When save, it should mention `_' (or `r') to restore.
* Is it normal that the window is scrolled (perhaps to
  keep point in view)? Maybe not scrolling should be
  an option?
* Maybe let unrecognized events (keys, at least) quit
  instead of being ignored. And then perhaps be
  applied? So, e.g., `RET' would quit (and insert a
  newline?).
* Rename?  `window-edit'?
* Maybe bind it to `C-x w'. Or maybe have that be a
  prefix for several window commands and bind this one
  to `C-x w e' (for edit)?

HTH.