Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:11:03 -0400

    > "Up is more" is a common analogy.  Using it here could be a good idea
    > for simplicity's sake.  The most common case of changing window
    > sizes is with two windows.  So it is very convenient to be able
    > to specify "more" or "less" without saying which boundary.

    Hmm, I'd think + and - would be the most natural here... ?

+ would be good for "up" if there were only one dimension involved.
But we want commands for growing and shrinking, vertically and
horizontally.  Just + and - are not enough.

    E.g. + and - for simple "increase/decrease size" (I guess it needs to
    choose horizontal or vertical, but it could just use the "innermost"
    window split) and arrow-keys for "nudge the window border in that
    direction".

If using the innermost window split is good enough as regards the
choice of dorection, maybe just + and - are sufficient.

Bastien said:

    FWIW, I think making both bi-directional and four-directional behaviors
    available from `window-resize' will be somewhat confusing for the user.

I don't agree.  If they are clearly different kinds of characters
(like + and - vs arrows), I think users will understand they work
differently.

We could give it a try and see what users think of it.