Re: CVS trunk emacsclient: X11 connection rejected

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: CVS trunk emacsclient: X11 connection rejected
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:57:55 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I did try a test with an unset XAUTHORITY:
>
> host1> XAUTHORITY= emacs -Q -f server-start &
> host1> ssh host2
> host2> ssh host1 emacsclient --no-wait $PWD/README
>
>> and it didn't seem to help.

OK, so the above definitely doesn't change anything, I still get "X11
connection rejected".

If instead I unset XAUTHORITY before starting Emacs, or set it to
~/.Xauthority, then `ssh host2' warns "No xauth data; using fake
authentication data for X11 forwarding.". I can still open xterms,
emacs, etc. Now the emacsclient command (with no display option) shows
the behaviour of popping up a new frame of the server Emacs showing
scratch, and not visiting the specified file at all.

> What happens if you do
>
>    host2> ssh host1
>    host1> echo "$DISPLAY"

Is that meant to be that way round? I should have used better names
than "host1", "host2". :)

host1 is the local host, running the X session, host2 is a remote host.

> and then use this DISPLAY (presumably somehting like "localhost:10"): go to
> your Emacs and type
>
>    M-: (make-frame-on-display "localhost:10") RET

Assuming you meant:

host1> ssh host2
host2> ssh host1 'echo $DISPLAY'   # localhost:10.0
host2> emacs -Q --eval '(make-frame-on-display "localhost:10.0")'

then it works. If you wanted me to ssh to host1 and start an Emacs
there, then it also works.

If you wanted me to start an Emacs on host1 before `ssh host2', then
it's unresponsive for a few seconds, then reports:
"x-create-frame-with-faces: Display localhost:10.0 can't be opened".