New Emacs facilities from Gnus (was: Gnus in Emacs is updated to No Gnus

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: New Emacs facilities from Gnus (was: Gnus in Emacs is updated to No Gnus 0.7)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:49:10 +0100

On Sun, Oct 28 2007, Miles Bader wrote:

>   2) It includes "password.el" (in lisp/gnus), which I seemed to
>      remember was not liked in previous emacs-devel discussion.  However
>      that's a small enough file that I suppose it can be easily replaced
>      if necessary.

There are some other non-Gnus specific files which should probably be
moved from lisp/gnus/ to other directories. [1]

I'll provide a list of new files with some comments.  If you need to
know more about these files, I'd suggest to make a _separate_ reply
and cc the author or maintainer.

* assistant.el:

;;; assistant.el --- guiding users through Emacs setup
;; Author: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>

Its purpose is to provide a setup assistant ("setup wizard" in some
programs).  IIRC, this is not finished yet.

See etc/gnus/*.ast for some prototype assistant files.

* dns-mode.el: Already in Emacs 22 as textmodes/dns-mode.el.

* ecomplete.el:

;;; ecomplete.el --- electric completion of addresses and the like
;; Author: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi

* encrypt.el:

;;; encrypt.el --- file encryption routines
;; Author: Teodor Zlatanov <address@hidden>

* gnus-bookmark.el: Gnus specific.

* hashcash.el:

;;; hashcash.el --- Add hashcash payments to email
;; Maintainer: Paul Foley <address@hidden>

* hmac-def.el: From FLIM (Faithful Library about Internet Message).
  Used for sasl-*.el.
* hmac-md5.el: Ditto.
* md4.el: Ditto.
* ntlm.el: Ditto.

hmac-def.el:;; Author: Shuhei KOBAYASHI <address@hidden>
hmac-md5.el:;; Author: Shuhei KOBAYASHI <address@hidden>
md4.el:;; Author: Taro Kawagishi <address@hidden>
ntlm.el:;; Author: Taro Kawagishi <address@hidden>

* password.el:

;;; password.el --- Read passwords from user, possibly using a password cache.
;; Author: Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>

,----[ doc/misc/gnus-news.el ]
| @item Gnus includes a password cache mechanism in password.el.
|
| It is enabled by default (see @code{password-cache}), with a short
| timeout of 16 seconds (see @code{password-cache-expiry}).  If
| @acronym{PGG} is used as the @acronym{PGP} back end, the @acronym{PGP}
| passphrase is managed by this mechanism.  Passwords for ManageSieve
| connections are managed by this mechanism, after querying the user
| about whether to do so.
`----

* sasl.el: Simple Authentication and Security Layer.  From FLIM [1].
* sasl-cram.el:
* sasl-digest.el:
* sasl-ntlm.el:

sasl-cram.el:;; Author: Daiki Ueno <address@hidden>
sasl-digest.el:;; Author: Daiki Ueno <address@hidden>
sasl.el:;; Author: Daiki Ueno <address@hidden>
sasl-ntlm.el:;; Author: Taro Kawagishi <address@hidden>

,----[ doc/misc/gnus-news.el ]
| @item Gnus includes the Emacs Lisp @acronym{SASL} library.
|
| This provides a clean @acronym{API} to @acronym{SASL} mechanisms from
| within Emacs.  The user visible aspects of this, compared to the earlier
| situation, include support for @address@hidden and
| @acronym{NTLM}.   @xref{Top, ,Emacs SASL, sasl, Emacs SASL}.
`----

* smime-ldap.el:

;;; smime-ldap.el --- client interface to LDAP for Emacs
;; Author: Oscar Figueiredo <address@hidden>

* spam-wash.el: Gnus specific.

Bye, Reiner.

[1]