Re: ediff and coding systems

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: ediff and coding systems
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:03:15 -0700

address@hidden (Michael Kifer) writes:

  > >   > > address@hidden (Michael Kifer) writes:
  > >   > >
  > > This one is strange
  > >

  > > viper-cmd.el:5099:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to
  > > be defined: quail-input-method, quail-start-translation,
  > >     event-to-character,  character-to-event, viper-iconify,
key-press-event-p, event-key,
  > >     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  > >    These should be optimized out by the byte compiler.
  >
  > No idea. The above are mostly XEmacs functions.

These warnings show up because the XEmacs functions are conditionally
called with the condition being the viper-xemacs-p defconst.
Defconsts cannot be optimized out at compile time.

  > > Also viper-xemacs-p is about as long as (featurep 'emacs) and as
  > > readable. Why not replace it?  Most similar macros have been replaced
  > > in CVS.
  >

  > I do not really care, but see no reason why waste time on this one.

Would you mind if I do it? For viper* and ediff* ?
Doing this will allow the byte compiler to get rid code at compile
time, this saves a few kilobytes of disk space.