Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: yzhh
Subject: Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:30:02 +0000 (UTC)

Robert J. Chassell <bob <at> rattlesnake.com> writes:

> It certainly can be.  More than a dozen years ago an early
> distribution of Calc mode did this.  Unfortunately, as far as I
> remember, its functionality did no more than you have done.  Worse, it
> vanished from my distribution a decade or so ago and by the time I
> looked again, perhaps five years ago, it was gone.

I didn't find things relating to Calc mode when I searched the web on
this topic. Hope you remember it right and get it back. Please let me
known when you do.

> Even the little bit you have done could be helpful.
>
> Please write up what you have as an Emacs Lisp library that can be
> loaded by `emacs -q', with a name such as
> yzhh-define-elisp-interactively.el, and submit it.

Thank you for your appreciation. But my modification is in the C code of
emacs, because 'execute-command' and 'call-interactively' are in C code.
And I don't think my dirty code would be a valid patch for the emacs
developers.

As far as I can see, recording everything including isearch, query-replace
and alike in a general way would need modification in C code. And that
modification very probably require quite some re-design of emacs internal
control structure (the command loop and kbd macro implementation). All
these are out of my reach for the moment.

> Thank you!

Thank you too. And please read my reply to Drew.