Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 02:05:43 +0300

>> I'll try to find a general solution that will work also for searching
>> from the buffer list that Drew asked for.
>
> Great - thanks. It need not follow what I said or even use the Buffer List.
> The idea is to have some (interactive) way for a user to select the buffers
> to be searched.

Selecting the buffers to be searched is not a problem.  I think the
*Buffer List* is a good interface to select them.  The question is
how to start multi-buffer isearch.  Imagine that you've marked a list
of buffers in the *Buffer List*.  How to start multi-buffer isearch now?
Should C-s start multi-buffer isearch in marked files, or should C-s
still allow searching for the string in the *Buffer List* (this is useful
for searching buffer names in the *Buffer List*).

This question is not limited to searching buffers from the *Buffer List*.
To search in multiple files one good user interface would be marking
a list of files in the dired buffer and starting multi-file isearch in
marked files - "Incremental Grep"!

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/