Building with image support

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Building with image support
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:46:21 +0200

Hello, I've been building emacs on windows for a few year now but I have always built it without image support. Anyway, I grew tired of looking at the ugly toolbar under windows, compared to my linux installation, so I set out to learn how to build emacs under windows with image support.

I managed to build it with xpm support and as long as emacs can find the xpm dll I get nice looking toolbars. Good!

However, I noticed that emacs can be built to support not only xpm, but also png, gif, tiff and a few other image format. I set my configure script to pass --without-tiff, --without-png and so on so it doesn't test for any other format than xpm.

My question is this: What am I missing without png support, without tiff support etc? I only work with text with emacs, 90 percent of the time programming. My original wish has been fullfilled, which was nice looking toolbars on windows, but I wanted to know if it might be a good idea to build emacs with support for the other image formats as well. But if it doesn't matter to what I do with emacs, I don't want to complicate my "build environment" unnecessarily.

Also, I noticed that my build script doesn't work anymore when the jobs parameter is passed to make (on windows, trunk), but I will post a separate message about that later today I hope.

- Eric Lilja