Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 02:59:02 +0300

>     > To make this a minor mode is undesirable because we do not want users
>     > to enable and disable it.  I think it should simply be a subroution
>     > for that major modes can call.
>
>     It is likely that there are some users who won't like this feature.
>     I think we shouldn't make it hard to disable.
>
> You have already implemented an option to disable it, and select
> a few different behaviors.  I think that is enough.

There is no option to disable it.  There is only one option that specifies
where to pause the search.  So isearch-buffers-minor-mode seems like a good
option to disable it.

>     Also this minor mode could provide an indication in the mode line
>     (e.g. "X" or "X-Isearch" to mean cross-buffer search), so when the
>     search goes to another file, it will not surprise users.
>
> I do not quite follow.  Precisely when do you suggest displaying this
> in the mode line?
>
> (Moving to another buffer will show up in the mode line, of course.
> So maybe that is plenty.)

I think users should be aware of the active multi-buffer search, so moving
to another buffer will not be a surprise.  There are two places where this
indication can be added: in the mode line as a minor mode "lighter" string,
or/and as the prefix/suffix of the isearch message, e.g.:

I-search: search_string [Repeat for next buffer]
Multi-I-search: search_string [Repeat for next buffer]

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/