Re: recent changes to org files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: recent changes to org files
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:43:21 -0400

> affect many files, and it is impossible for the developer who does the
> change to be sure in all cases that he has done the right thing.

In the case of "next-line -> forward-line" it is quite possible to be sure:
just think hard about what the function should do in the presence of
invisible text or images, check at which the column the function may
terminate, check if it may be desired to add newlines at EOB, ...

In the case of org-mode the presence of `invisible' in the code is a good
indication that there's a good chance that the change is unsafe.

> that has  happened sometimes:  I get an email with proposed changes, with
> the request to check them before they are committed.  For example, Stefan
> has been doing things like this, and I appreciate his comments and
> additions, and the way he handles it, a lot.

Actually I often can't be bothered to wait, so I install the change and then
send an email about it (I sometimes prefer to undo/refine the change later,
also because installing the `undo' is a good opportunity to add a comment in
the code explaining why it's the way it is).

        Stefan