Re: chinese-gbk

From: Zhang Wei
Subject: Re: chinese-gbk
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:51:45 +0800

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to implement the `chinese-gbk' coding system (and
>> also the charset) to the EMACS_22_BASE branch (i.e., Emacs 22.2)?
>
> The coding system is possible by mapping characters into
> various existing CJ characters if we can ignore rarely used
> few handreds characters.  The code will be something like
> the support of utf-8.
>
> But, Emacs 22 does't have a room to to make a charset for
> GBK.

Su Yong and Zan Jian wrote a package named `mule-gbk' which implement
the GBK coding system, for more infomation:

http://mule-gbk.sourceforge.net/

because there's no room for GBK charsets (3 Leading Bytes at least),
mule-gbk occupied the leading bytes of Chinese-CNS-5, Chinese-CNS-6
and Chinese-CNS-7 charsets, these charsets are rarely used.