Re: Cedilla input in UTF-8 locale with dead keys.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Cedilla input in UTF-8 locale with dead keys.
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:16:34 +0200

Andreas Schwab skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

FWIW, Gtk+ has a special handling of this.  Gtk+ also processes all
compose itself, rather than using X.  See Gtk+ sources,
modules/input/imcedilla.c:

/* The difference between this and the default input method is the handling
 * of C+acute - this method produces C WITH CEDILLA rather than C WITH ACUTE.
 * For languages that use CCedilla and not acute, this is the preferred mapping,
 * and is particularly important for pt_BR, where the us-intl keyboard is
 * used extensively.
 */

Since Emacs does not use Gtk+ for character input, we don't get that mapping.

According to /usr/share/X11/locale/pt_BR.UTF-8/Compose, <dead_acute> <C>
produces "Ç", not "Ć".

I can see that this file gets read by for example xterm, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Strange.

        Jan D.