RE: Improving X selection?

From: Horsley, Tom
Subject: RE: Improving X selection?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:20:01 -0400

>> I am very opposed to any solution that drags in any selection I explicitly
>> does not paste into Emacs.  For example, if I want to paste CLIPBOARD,
>> PRIMARY
>> may be a very large selection. Over a slow link, getting PRIMARY also makes
>> Emacs unresponsive for several seconds.
>
>This just means that not all users will like the proposal, and
>therefore we should have an option to let the users decide what they
>want.  The option should probably be tristate, as the current behavior
>could have its zealots as well, who will hate the change.  Maybe even
>4 different values, see below.

Actually, I was sort of thinking that once the basic support
for returning multiple selection strings was implemented, an
X specific change could be devised that would introduce a
configurable variable something like:

x-paste-what-selections

which could be a list of 'CLIPBOARD, 'PRIMARY, etc.

This would even allow emacs to interact with custom selections
from custom apps by adding new non-standard selection names to
the list (not that I think that is really likely anyone would
actually use it :-).