Re: 23.0.50; Cannot run calculator on TTY

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Cannot run calculator on TTY
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:47:54 -0400

     > One idea that occurs to me is that `window-min-height' could count the
     > header line, if any.

    Do you mean

    "One idea that occurs to me is that the `split-window' could NOT count
    the header line, if any."

We may be trying to say the same thing in two ways.  Basically, my
idea is that the minimum allowed number of lines in a window -- in
every sense -- would not depend on whether one of those lines
is used as a header line.

This might require changes in redisplay as well
in order to function correctly.

    The only drawback I can think of is that splitting may produce a window
    showing a header- and a mode-line only.

Yes, that could happen.  It might be a lesser problem than the one we
now have.  At least it would be comprehensible and would follow a
simple rule.

     > That way, the fact that some buffers have header
     > lines and others don't will not cause any problems for vertical
     > splitting of windows.  In the most usual cases, at least -- but not
     > in all cases, perhaps.
     >
     > Another solution would be to pass a two buffers to `split-window',
     > telling it to select those two buffers, and to calculate based
     > on the assumption that those buffers will be displayed.

    That's what I meant with "provide explicit (optional) parameters for
    `split-window-vertically' and `split-window-horizontally'".  This would
    also mean that the client of these functions (and `split-window') would
    have to set the corresponding (buffer-local) variables _before_ calling
    these.

Then we both had the same idea.  If people like this better, it is
fine with me.