Re: unload-feature questions and thoughts

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: unload-feature questions and thoughts
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:01:48 +0200

On 10/12/07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> If we are not going to change the meaning of FEATURE-unload-hook, then
> rather than create a second similar feature, I would rather move the
> normal handling into a function that the hooks can call.

IMHO this is a hack. `unload-feature' does quite a bit of things (and
could conceivably do more, as Davis suggested: remove items from
keymaps, for example). There's no need for a hook that only
substitutes for part of that processing. What if in my package the
default hook processing of `unload-feature' is fine, but I want to do
my own autoload restore?

The right thing to do is let a hook run *before* all that happens, so
it can influence what is done afterwards (by saying that it doesn't
want more processing, or by modifying `unload-hook-features-list').

Let's get rid of FEATURE-unload-hook. It is used only when unloading
packages, so in most cases the incompatibility won't cause big trouble
(unless unloading packages is more common that I think).

             Juanma