update Hades

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: update Hades
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 14:20:36 +0000

Hi, Emacs!

I've just done a update on the CVS trunk.  It doesn't build, though I've
tried many things to get it going:

I tried the usual INSTALL.CVS recipe: ./configure; make; cd lisp; make
recompile EMACS=../src/emacs; cd ..; make

(i) I had to download the new ../doc directory in.  No complaints about
this.  But for anybody else who needs to do this, the recipe is "cvs
update -d".

(ii) It worked up until "make recompile EMACS=../srce/emacs".  This
failed for the lack of (defmacro with-demoted-errors).  I solved this by
rebytecompiling subr.el by hand.  I think the bug here is that "make
recompile" doesn't first recompile the "critical"[*] files first and
then load them.  Our ..../lisp/Makefile doesn't reflect the dependencies
in our files.el.

After hand-compiling subr.el, "make recompile ..." worked.

[*] Not sure which files count as "critical", but subr.el is certainly
amongst them.  Probably simple.el, too.

(iii) cd ..; make.   This fails just after dumping the emacs executable,
giving these messages:

Dumping under names emacs and emacs-23.0.50.6
1153925 pure bytes used
./emacs -q -batch -f list-load-path-shadows
Symbol's function definition is void: encoded-kbd-setup-display

(defun encoded-kbd-setup-display...) is in
..../lisp/international/encoded-kb.el.  I've byte compiled this by hand,
but this doesn't help.  Should encoded-kb.el perhaps be in loadup.el?
Or do we need an autoload?

Anybody got a quick workaround for this encoded-kbd-setup-display
problem?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Ittersbach, Germany).