Slow merge of vc.el begins: "focus version"

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Slow merge of vc.el begins: "focus version"
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 04:32:52 -0400 (EDT)

Dan Nicolaescu did an extremely helpful thing by reordering the code
in vc.el, but as I feared the diff is still quite large and noisy.
There was really no avoiding this, as large portions of the mode
needed a rewrite.

In order to make auditing of the diff more feasible, I'm going to
merge into head some of the bits from my version that don't make logic
changes.  I will probably start by merging, into both code and manual,
the "workfile version" -> "focus version" change.  It is responsible
for a lot of the noise.

I am not really happy about introducing a new term, especially one
that isn't lifted from VCS terminology already current.  But, as I
explained to Dan, none of the VCSes have evolved an unambiguous term
of art for this.

"Workfile version" is, I believe, strictly an Emacsism these days.  It
becomes inappropriate and misleading when we are speaking of a VCS in
which version numbers are not a per-file property but associated with
changesets.  This is true of all VCSes from Subversion onwards.

I suppose "working-copy version" might be more explicit while
avoiding the problem.  I might switch both my code and the Emacs
head revision to use that.  I'll have to try altering the manual
both ways and seeing how it reads.

To make inexpensive guns impossible to get is to say that you're
putting a money test on getting a gun.  It's racism in its worst form.
        -- Roy Innis, president of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), 1988