Re: Splitting gnus.texi

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Splitting gnus.texi
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:50:32 +0300

On 2007-09-26 08:07, Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> It would be good to split gnus.texi into 10 to 15 files
>>> just because it is so big.  Similar for calc.texi.
>>
>> At least for gnus.texi, I don't see the benefit of splitting.
>> It's indeed big, but is not too big to edit with Emacs.  Rather,
>> I cannot ignore a disadvantage of splitting it.  I sometimes
>> write in it.  Since various Gnus functions are related mutually,
>> I frequently check other items concerned when I write something.
>> [...]  But if gnus.texi is split into 10 to 15 files, it will be
>> quite troublesome.
>>
>> I can agree with splitting if it is very useful to users, though.
>
> Additionally, splitting destroys CVS annovate (vc-annotoate).  I also
> see no problem with the size.

This doesn't have to be the result of splitting.  The files may be
'repo-copied' by one of the CVS admins, creating let's say 3 files:

     gnus.texi
     gnus-news.texi
     gnus-email.texi

These files can then be 'trimmed' with a normal commit, and the trimmed
text becomes a changeset of its own.  This way 'cvs annotate' will still
show useful information.