RE: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:33:44 -0700

>     Have `ask' be the default value of
>    `mouse-1-click-follows-link', and have a
>     behavior similar to that of `disable-command':
>
> I can't believe beginners would prefer that.

Why not? If you have never used an application, and you just do what you are
used to doing, but there is a better, alternative behavior that is in fact
the standard behavior in that application, wouldn't you want to know about
it?

These are the alternatives:

1. Have both m-1 and m-2 follow links, by default.

A newbie who tries m-1 doesn't learn about m-2. S?he later encounters some
difficulties because of the m-1 peculiarities. M-1 is not quite what s?he
expected, and s?he will not have been told about those differences. S?he
doesn't know about m-2 and s?he doesn't really understand this special m-1
either.

2. Have only m-2 follow links, by default.

The newbie discovers that m-1 doesn't follow links, but s?he doesn't learn
that m-2 follows links or that s?he can configure m-1 to also follow links.

3. Do what I suggested.

The first time (only) the newbie tries m-1 on a link, s?he is informed about
both m-2 and the possibility of having m-1 also follow links.

#1 is Emacs 22.  #2 is more or less pre-22.  #3 should be Emacs 23.  Let the
user know more to control more.