[BUG] Dark/bright face detection problem

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: [BUG] Dark/bright face detection problem
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:38:33 +0200

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

$ cat broken.el
(set-background-color "gray20")
(set-foreground-color "white")
(set-default-font "lucidasans-10")

$ cat working.el
(set-background-color "gray20")
(set-foreground-color "white")
(set-default-font "lucidasans-10")

1. emacs -Q -l working.el
The background is dark, the face is bright.  Everything ok.

2. emacs -Q -l broken.el
The face stays dark. For example in the minibuffer, when I do `find-file', the
font is dark blue and I can hardly read it.

When I call `set-default-font' or evaluate (set-default-font ...) in the
scratch buffer, the face is updated to be bright as in the first scenario.

I compared `set-default-font' and `set-background-color' in frame.el and could
not find anything that could cause this behaviour, so I figured the bug has to
be in `modify-frame-parameters'.

So, `Fmodify_frame_parameters' calls `frame-set-background-mode' when
!HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM, otherwise it just calls `x_set_frame_parameter', which
does NOT call `frame-set-background-mode'.  Is that right?!

Shouldn't `x_set_frame_parameter' also do something to update the faces
afterwards?  I could not find something that loos like it in the code.

HTH! And hit me, if you need more debugging information.

        Hannes

--
3BD8 AF56 11AF 205C 9DB6  B10F 76F1 0634 71A4 DCA0