RE: Toolbar mode on/off

From: Davis Herring
Subject: RE: Toolbar mode on/off
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:36:26 -0700 (PDT)

>> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>   >> at the current point of time, enabling the toolbar and disabling it
>>   >> again is not a noop, but rather causes shrinking.
>>
>> That is true.  On an instance with a tool bar, M-x tool-bar-mode RET
>> makes the frame smaller and when tool-bar-mode is reenabled, larger.
>> The command does not change the font size.
>
> That looks very authoritative: `"Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> writes:', but it's just plain wrong.

It's not actually wrong: at the very top of the message available at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-09/msg02264.html, you
did in fact write the following two lines without what is now their
left-most 3 angle brackets.  (I have adjusted the spacing to preserve the
line break positions.)

Anyone who understands quoting conventions at all knows that a header like
"X writes:" means that what follows the header comes from X if it begins
with a > and that the (one!) > is not part of the quoted text.  In fact,
if we are all following the reply-below idea, the first line of nearly
every message will begin with a >, and so when quoted will have two and
will look like what you didn't like.

Of course, replying to your message and then omitting everything you typed
and replying to what David actually said is odd, and perhaps even (as you
later said) confusing, but it's not (as you later stated) inaccurate or
unethical.

Davis

shipping.