Directory doc/gnus in Emacs CVS (was: Splitting gnus.texi)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Directory doc/gnus in Emacs CVS (was: Splitting gnus.texi)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:14:45 +0200

On Wed, Sep 26 2007, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> I can agree with splitting if it is very useful to users, though.
>
> This is intended for developers.  So if developers think this is
> not useful then there is no need to split it.
>
> I proposed splitting only because source files for the Emacs manual are
> split into several texi files.  However, I see no clear benefits
> of splitting.

Me neither.

> Rather we could take the suggestion of Reiner and put gnus-coding,
> gnus-news, gnus-faq, gnus, message, sasl, emacs-mime, pgg and sieve
> into a new `gnus' subdirectory.

For the record some explanations about these files:

  - gnus*.el are (parts of) core Gnus manuals.

  - Message:(message).         Composing messages.
  - Emacs-MIME:(emacs-mime).   Composing messages; MIME-specific parts.

  Both are supposed to be independent from Gnus.  Alas it they are not
  anymore.  emacs-mime is also used by MH-E.  AFAICS, the MH-E manual
  describes the relevant MH-E specific stuff  and has some references to
  the emacs-mime and Gnus manual.

  - Sieve:(sieve).             Managing Sieve scripts in Emacs.
  - PGG:(pgg).                 PGP/MIME with Gnus.
  - SASL:(sasl).               SASL authentication in Emacs.

  These are independent from Gnus.

It would be fine with me to include those in a separate doc/gnus
directory.  But maybe the authors Simon Josefsson (sieve) and Daiki
Ueno (pgg and sasl) would prefer to have them in doc/misc.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)